11 Feb 2012

Amazing Underwater


10 years ago after high school I spent a few years traveling around Australia in an old station wagon filming surfing, clutching to dreams of making it in the surf film industry that would facilitate my future of cruising around the world to exotic beaches filming perfect waves. While the surfing and conditions were what I wanted to be filming, the images always left me wanting more. After trying countless experiments of camera positions (helmet camera, board camera) and different places to film while in the water (pole extensions, different lenses), I still couldn’t capture what I was seeing in my mind.

Fast forward to 2009 and after directing a film in Mexico on Shark Divers I had an underwater camera which we used to get closer to the sharks than our larger cameras physically could, upon returning to Sydney I started shooting surfing again, however this time from below. A month later I was shooting a small shorebreak and was caught inside by a large set, as I dove under I noticed a group of kids next to me. I turned the camera onto them and shot them as they contorted and struggled to avoid the wave above; surfacing I glanced at the lcd screen and the first Underwater Project image was there. Entitled ‘Escape’, to this day it’s as close to the images that I was chasing a decade ago. Soon after I traveled to remote beaches in the South Australian desert with a good friend to work on the idea further; after 6 hours in the water we ended up with 4 images that made it to the final selection, a solid start to the series.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More